Peninsula Home Care (PHC) is the award-winning, locally owned and operated home health care organization on the Lower Eastern Shore. Over the last three decades our skilled nurses, therapists, case managers and aides have helped nearly 40,000 patients in Maryland and Delaware work to regain their independence as they recover from illness, injury and surgery.
Established in 1985, we are locally owned and operated. We’re the Medicaid Certified Preferred Provider partner of two major regional health systems – Peninsula Regional Health System and Nanticoke Health Services – and we are backed by leading regional health care company, CHMG.
In Delaware, we operate as Peninsula Home Care at Nanticoke. Over the state line, we are Peninsula Home Care of Maryland. Our team provides a full complement of home health care services, including skilled nursing and medical social work; physical, occupational and speech therapy; and certified nursing assistants and home health aides.
Our approach blends locally based, highly personalized home health care with a commitment to cutting edge technology. During the last decade, we have been first to introduce many techniques and services to in-home care across the region:
- Negative Pressure Wound Care (“SNaP”), a portable system which applies continued vacuum dressings to speed acute wound care by as much as 52%. We are the first home health care to offer this on the Lower Eastern Shore.
- E-STIM (electronic stimulation) which helps chronic wounds heal up to 40% faster than with traditional wound care alone, and helps pain prevention and mitigation, muscle spasm relaxation and muscle toning. Our Maryland group was the first home health care in the state to offer this in-home wound care program. The service will soon expand to Delaware.
- Saebo Neurological Orthotic Devices help reprogram the brain after a stroke or traumatic brain injury and help patients recover their health more quickly and more control over their lives – a “first” anywhere on Delmarva.
- In-Home Chemotherapy for the treatment of breast and colon cancer – first on the Lower Eastern Shore.
- Point of Care Electronic Medical Records (EMR) program for home health care, allowing all professionals working with a patient to update records in real time – first on the Lower Eastern Shore.
From Modest Start to Trusted Preferred Providers
PHC began as a much smaller entity more than 30 years ago. Atlantic Visiting Nurses Association (AVNA) was a small start-up with a single office and a handful of staff. Known for its homegrown approach of “neighbor serving neighbor,” AVNA was purchased by Peninsula Regional Medical Center (PRMC) in 1999.
After assimilating the business, PRMC sought a partner that could lead home health care in the new millennium. In 2004, PHC became a joint venture between Peninsula Regional Medical Center (PRMC) and CHMG Solutions of North Carolina. PHC at Nanticoke added a third partner, Nanticoke Health Services soon thereafter.
Over the years, we have been honored as a multi-year winner of the Home Care Elite Award.
In 2017, PHC was designated as the Preferred Providers of home health care by both Peninsula Regional Medical Center and Nanticoke Health Services.