In-Home Chemotherapy Guidelines
- Create a special work area for handling chemotherapy agents.
- Wash areas that come in contact with the medicine using soap and water.
- Store medication in a sealed plastic container in a dry place.
- Pre-wash soiled linens before placing the linen in the regular wash.
- Wash reusable items, such as a bedpan or urinal, with soap and water with each use.
- Dispose of chemotherapy agents and items used to mix the medicine in a secure biohazard bin or bag labeled “hazardous waste.”
- Keep people and pets away from all chemotherapy.
- If chemotherapy touches the skin and irritation occurs, wash with soap and water, then dry. Call the doctor if the redness or irritation lasts longer than one hour.
- If the chemotherapy splashes into the eyes, flush them out immediately with water for 10 to 15 minutes and call the doctor.
- Call Peninsula Home Care for assistance in creating a safe environment for you and your loved ones.